One of the best ways to make the most of your outdoor space is by adding a pergola. In this blog post, we will guide you through the different ways to maximise your limited outdoor space with a pergola.
So, if you are a homeowner in Sutherland Shire looking to install a pergola, read on!
Define your pergola’s purpose
Before you install a pergola in your outdoor area, you need to decide what you want it to be used for. Would you like it to be an extension of your living space, a shaded area for your gardening, or a place to entertain guests? Defining the pergola’s purpose can help you determine its design, size, and location.
Below are some of the purposes for installing a pergola:
1. Increased Privacy: Pergolas can provide privacy in outdoor spaces near a pool or patio area. It can also be installed between two homes or between your home and the street to give some much-needed space from prying eyes.
2. Shade Protection: A pergola provides shade with its open lattice structure and extensive canopy of foliage and vines. This is especially useful during hot summer months when you need a place to cool off without retreating indoors.
3. Garden Accent: A small pergola design can be a decorative element in your garden or landscaping project. This structure adds visual interest while blending in with the natural surroundings.
4. Outdoor Gathering Space: Pergolas are great for having outdoor gatherings in the shade and away from bugs. The structure also offers protection from light rain and can keep your guests comfortable while they mingle outdoors.
5. Retreat Area: A pergola is a great place to retreat for some alone time or relaxation with friends and family. It creates an inviting area perfect for cosy conversations, reading a book, or just taking in nature’s sights and sounds.
Regardless of your purpose, you can contact Life Outdoors to help you.
Choose the right design and size
Pergolas come in various designs, shapes, and sizes, from modern and minimalistic to more classic and traditional. Therefore, choosing the right design and size can ensure it suits your space and compliments the aesthetic of your home or business. Considering your outdoor area’s size and shape is a must when choosing the design and size, as this can help you determine the best fit for your pergola.
Consider your surroundings
The surrounding environment plays a significant role in deciding the best outdoor structure for your space. For example, if you live in an area with a lot of wind or harsh sun, you can consider adding windbreaks or retractable shades to your pergola. You can also add climbers and vine plants to provide some privacy and shade.
Use space-saving furniture
If you have limited outdoor space, you probably wouldn’t be able to have large furniture, such as a lengthy dining table or oversized lounges. Hence, using space-saving furniture is a smart way to maximise your outdoor living space. You can opt for furniture that doubles up as storage or furniture that folds away for compact storage.
Adding lighting to your pergola can create a comfortable and inviting ambiance to your outdoor living area, even at night. You can install warm lights, lanterns, or fairy lights around your pergola to create an outdoor lounge area your family and friends will love.
Whether you have limited or unlimited outdoor space, adding a pergola can be a smart decision in maximising your living area, increasing your home’s value and providing a dedicated space to relax and entertain.
By defining your pergola’s purpose, choosing the right design and size, considering your surroundings, using space-saving furniture and adding lighting, you can create an oasis in Sutherland Shire that will make a statement for many years.
If you need expert advice and installation in Sutherland Shire, we at Life Outdoors can guide you through the process from start to finish – contact us today to request a free quote and expert advice.